11 February 2010

Identity Certificate (IC):

Identity certificate (IC) is issued under the Indian passport Act of 1968. All Identity certificate (IC) holders are to take due care that it does not get damaged, mutilated or lost. Identity certificate (IC) is a valuable document and should not be sent out to any country by post. It should always be kept either in the custody of the holder or in the custody of a person duly authorized by the holder. The Identity certificate (IC) is issued for the sole purpose of providing the holder with identity papers in lieu of a national passport.

Loss of Identity certificate (IC) should be immediately reported to the nearest police station and to the nearest passport office/Indian mission. Identity certificate (IC) holder shall be responsible for the misuse of the Identity certificate (IC), due to non-intimation of loss to the concerned passport office/Indian mission. Identity certificate (IC) is the property of the Government of India and should by surrendered when demanded in by any passport issuing authority.

Section 1: General Information

How to apply:
1. Application forms are available at the Bureau of H.H. The Dalai Lama, New Delhi.
2. Details of supporting documents required for IC application are listed below under respective heads.

Section 2: Supporting Documents

A) NEW IDENTITY CERTIFICATE (IC):
a) An original approval letter from the kashang Secretariat, Central Tibetan Administration, Dharamsala.
b) Registration Certificate (RC): (3 sets of attested copies)
• First page with the individual details, second page with the photo and the last page with tits valid extension.
• In the care of Minor, TC copies of father/Mother should suffice. The minor applicant as well as the father/Mother should sign on the undertaking form.
• Minor applicants, whose parents are settled abroad, will have to submit his/her legal guardian’s RC (three sets of attested copies) along with affidavit of legal guardian’s status.
c) Proof of Date of Birth: (3 sets of attested copies of any one of the following)
• Birth certificates issue by Municipal Authorities.
• Matriculation Certificate issued by school boards,
• School bonafide certifying date and place of birth.
• Affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating nationality, date of birth and place of bith. This is not applicable to these who are born on or after 26.01.1989. (Original affidavit should be submitted along with two sets of attested photocopies.)
d) Nine colored passport size photograph with plain background.

B) ADDITIONAL BOOKLET:
1. Latest original Identity certificate (IC) with two sets of attested copies for page1 to 7 of the same.
2. Four colored passport size photographs with plain background.
3. If the latest Identity certificate (IC) is issued by a Foreign Mission, the must also submit tow sets of attested copies of the last Identity certificate (IC) issued by the Regional passport office (RPO), New Delhi.

C) LOST CASE:
1. Police FIR in original with one attested copy.
2. Court Affidavit affirmed before a First Class Magistrate bearing the number of the lost Identity certificate (IC) with one attested copy.
3. Four colored passport size photographs with plain back ground.
4. Copies of lost Identity certificate (IC). (Optional)

D) RENEWAL CASE/ENDORSEMENT:
1. Two original Identity certificate (IC) with two sets of attested copies for page 1 to 7 of the same.
2. Two sets of attested copies of RC’s first page with the individual details, second page with the photo and the last page with its valid extension.
3. If the latest Identity certificate (IC) is issued by the Foreign Mission, the applicant must also summit tow sets of attested copies of the first IC issued by the Regional Passport Office (R.P.O.) New Delhi.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
1. As per MEA’s circular, Birth Certificate issued by the Welfare Officer/Settlement Officer is not accepted w.e.f. 1st October, 2005.
2. Copies of documents should be attested by CTA Official of the rank of Joint Secretary and above or Representatives/Tibetan Welfare Officer or Gazetted Officer, GOI or Notary Public.
3. All photographs should be identical and must be signed by the individual applicant at the reverse side.

SECTION III – Application Fee, Cost Of Form And Mode Of Payment

1. New I.C - Rs. 350/-
2. Additional Booklet - Rs. 340/-
3. Lost I.C. - Rs.700/-
4. Renewal Rs. 50/-
5. Endorsement Rs. 320/-

NOTE:
A) Application fee can be paid either by cash or by bank draft in favour of Bureau of H. H. The Dalai Lama, New Delhi.
B) Application fee once paid are not refundable under any circumstances.

Section IV: Instruction And Guidelines For Filling Up The Application Form

Following instructions must be followed strictly as IC application form is machine-readable and scanned on computer.
• Use capital letters only. Particulars given in the form will reflect in the Identity certificate (IC)
• Do not fill the form with pencil or ink-pen. Use black/blue ball pen only.
• The particulars given in all the documents should match with each other. If any information supplied is found incorrect or incomplete, the application will stand rejected.
• Place of Birth and Country should be mentioned. Place of Birth means town, village or province followed by the country.
• While filling up the boxes, kindly leave one box blank after each completed word.
• Signature and thumb impression should be strictly within the box without touching the boundaries.
• Write clearly within the boxes without touching the boundaries. Adjust the infomration to fit within the number of boxes given and avoid over writing.
• Recent passport size 3.5 c.m. colored photograph showing frontal view of full face against a plain background. Photographs with colored/dark glasses or in uniform or computer prints will not be accepted.

DELIVERY OF IDENTITY CERTIFICATE (IC):
The applicant should appear in person to claim the IC. In absence of the applicant, the person receiving the IC on behalf of the application should produce an authoriszton letter, bearing the signature of the apllicant. The signature on the IC apllication form must tally witht eh one on the authorizaton letter.

For any further infommation, please contact:
Bureau of H.H.The Dalai Lama, 10-B Ring Road, Lajput Nagar, New Delhi-110024
Phone No. 26218548,26439745, 26443600
Fax No. 26461914 Email: bdl@airtelbroadband.in

Official website: www.TibetBureau.in

If you have any questions or wish to add something more, Please mention in the comment. Thank you.









46 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you we need tibetan green book (rangzen Lakdheb)?

Anonymous said...

without Green book, u Cannot make I.C.

Anonymous said...

Hi

I have a peculiar case-I was born in India.

My father had his IC which was deposited with tibetan govt when he left for education abroad(sponsorship via tibetan govt).

He never applied for one and today I dont have proof of being a tibetan.

Also-my mother's greenbook was stolen when her house got burgled. Can you pls suggest if we all can re-apply for the tibetan greenbook?

We have no information on this- any vital help would be deeply appreciated.

Please respond at rovingeyes@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Tashi Deleck, I really like ur site. I have gone through the procedure of IC and what els are requried. But you have not mention anything about Green Book. So, m just wondering that do i have to submit the xerox copy of my original green book ??? Please do let me know. Actually, m having an old Green Book which i have to issue New Green Book. To issue new Green Book,how long it will take? At present m staying in Bangalore, so where i have to contact? Thanks alot for ur kind information.

Anonymous said...

Tashi Delek, I really appreciate your work and believe that it might be helping lot of people, as per your intention. But I think there are few points that you have to update. And I am writing this as a possitive suggestion so that your help will be more meaningful.

with best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Please provide information:

How do I apply for renewal of IC if I am currently in the US. I went to near by Indian Counsulate and was told that it has be renewed from India. However I can't travel when my IC is expired. So how do I renew it then from here? I know we can not send it by mail to India? Please advise. Thank you in advance for your time.

PS: Like this page and the music!

Anonymous said...

hi,

The IC renewal can be done only from India and since you are a Tibetan living abroad so the procedure are bit different (i mean the inquiry procedure, it will be done faster then the normal one). So, you have to come to india to get it renew.

From your message above it seems that your IC is already expired, in that case you have to ask the indian consulate there, to give you a month extension in your IC so that you can travel to India and get it renew.

I think you will get better information from the bureau office, delhi may be you can mail them.

I hope the information can be of some help.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
every one there,
I am a tibetan student. I have one big error in my I.C. because of that I can't apply for study at aboard.
Actually my mother is maried to two sibling brother. By this I have two father. This is called SASUM in tibetan. which is folowed in some tibetan communit to older brother I cal Aba la. and to another my Aku la.(who is also my father by Sasum)
Because of this in my education documents my father name is mention and in my I>C and R.C is mention. So i am lloking forward to change my father name in I>C and R.C to the name of father in education Documents.
please help.
to whome I have to approach and what are the procedure. Its genuine and m not trying fruad.
I want to study P.G in culinary at abroad. so any help will shape my future.
brothers & sisters looking forward to your help.
tenzthinaly@yahoo.co.in

Anonymous said...

Hi,
every one there,
I am a tibetan student. I have one big error in my I.C. because of that I can't apply for study at aboard.
Actually my mother is maried to two sibling brother. By this I have two father. This is called SASUM in tibetan. which is folowed in some tibetan community. To older brother I call Aba la. and to another my Aku la.(who is also my father by Sasum)
Because of this, In my education documents my older father name is mention and in my I.C and R.C my Aku la name is mention. So i am looking forward to change my father name in I.C and R.C to the name of father in education Documents.
please help.
to whome I have to approach and what are the procedure. Its genuine and m not trying fruad.
I want to study P.G in culinary at abroad. so any help will shape my future.
brothers & sisters looking forward to your help.
tenzthinaly@yahoo.co.in

tenzin.khachok said...

Hi Thinlay,

I think you should contact IC office Delhi regarding more information on this..

Anonymous said...

Hi All my tibetan brothers and sisters,
I am working here in Bangkok, as old IC book has very less page and its make me to issue four IC book by now but i saw that new one which has many pages.., so i think it will be very helpful for me but here in indian embassy they have only old book and i asked them about new booklet but they told they have so many old book which has to finish. so i think to apply it in India.., Can i get it faster.., as my holiday will be for only one month due to my working office here. will deeply appreciate your suggestion. Thanks in Advance.

kunstensi said...

Hi I am a Tibetan IC holder, living somewhere in New york and I recently heard about the new Ic book. I am not sure if it is necessary to apply or not. My IC expires on next year and I am wondering what steps I should take in order to renew it. I need your help and suggestions?

Kuns

tenze said...

Hi guys,
I have the same problem as one of the guy with the expired IC and living abroad. I would like to know how to get the extension of IC that someone posted before, so that I could come to India and renew the IC. Any one else have any other suggestions please reply.

To kunstensi, you should contact Tibetan Bureau office for detail steps. But AFIK, the process for the renewal has been speeded up, at least to a month for tibs coming from abroad compared to normal duration of 6 months and more. hope it helps

from italy,

Anonymous said...

My name is tenzin and now I'm living in Brussels.In 2003 I came to here and as soon as I reach here the agent who brought me here had took my ic(with 3 month shengen visa)with him.And in 2004 my parents got a letter from Indian Passport authority that they found my ic with someone else trying to go to europe.Reply us otherwise we will cancel the ic.Since I was not there my parents got scared and didn't reply and they never received any mail after that.Now my question is if I need it now can I get that my old ic???anywhere from Indian or Brussels Indian high commission.
Thanking you.

tk30 said...

Do you know that, you can get your IC in Just 45 days (Only for students). All you need to do is, Apply to one of foreign university and get the offer letter from the university or I20 in case of US university. Once you have the offer letter or I20, you can apply with all your documents and can apply under emergency quota. You can collect your New IC after 45 days from the Bureau office.

Anonymous said...

hi ,
i want to cancel the yellow book IC because no-more need it, so what are the procedure? or requisites?.

CC Jobs said...

I think you can surrender IC to the nearest Indian Passport Issuing Authority.

Tenzin Khachok said...

I have changed my name in identity certificate (IC) a year ago and would like to share the details:
If you have any spelling mistake or need to change your complete name, You need to make affidivate from local court saying that, you wish to change your name in IC then you also need to give advertiments in two new paper i.e., One national English new paper and once local English new paper. After that, you need to filled a form from IC office and you need to submit affiviide copy and new paper cuttings. You will get your new IC within 1 year.

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Tenzin. And I live in Nepal.Actually I was born in India,I also bear a Tibetan Refugee card and a birth certificate proof from India. It's been a year completing my graduation and now I want to study abroad with student visa. But the biggest problem is I spent half of my life here in Nepal and did complete my schooling from Nepal. And as per the requirements mentioned here, I need to submit my School papers also. So, my question is can I still apply for IC with my Nepal board exam results and I even hardly live in India too.
Please do suggest me the most appropriate way to get an IC. It a request please.

Anonymous said...

kindly visit the official website of Bureau of His Holiness the Dalai Lama where you can find latest and updated information on IC application, renewal, additional booklet, etc.

you can either update information on your site or suggest the web address i just mentioned above.

best Kalsang

Anonymous said...

http://tibetbureau.in

Anonymous said...

Ok. Thank you so much..

Anonymous said...

thanks for this post.

Anonymous said...

can i get the I.C renewal form oline???

tk30 said...

I don't think so. However, you can conform with the Bureau office at Delhi.

Anonymous said...

It is a disgrace that the renewal of the IC takes 45 days as told by the Bureau Office but, why its not mentioned in thier website. I cannot get 45 days leave and do not u_stand why it should take that long. Why don't Bureau office mention i their website if this is the fact?
Tibetan in EUROPE

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I can not find my IC. I have looked everywhere possible. Seems like I have lost it while moving from one apartment to another. I need to apply for a new one now. Please advise how to proceed. I know I can not travel to India without IC to apply in person. How do I apply for new IC from the US when I can not even travel to India without the old one? Thanks in advance

Tenzin Khachok said...

Hi there, Same thing happen to me also. I am from Bangalore and lost my IC while traveling in city bus. So, I have asked the IC department at new delhi and they told to get original police FIR, court affidavit and 2 passport size photographs and if possible, a photocopy of old IC. Summit all the document along with Lost application form and fee of 700 INR. The whole process can take upto 1 year so search very thoroughly before applying.

Anonymous said...

I have applied for an additional IC booklet in early May and I was told by the staff who deal with IC that the whole process will be completed within three months. Than I called the day before, a staff at the bureau told me that my addiotnal booklet won't be ready until September. If you need quicker than September, you should come in person to the office and applied for emmergency one. Ususally you need a valid reasons. I am totally comfused. At the time of applying, they say 3 months and after two months they say two more months. Please help to get this additional booklet on time as promised. My friends told me that it should be out within 45 days. tenzin

Tenzin Khachok said...

Hi, Call them again and give some emergency reason such as going for visa interview or got an offer letter from US university. And then, Fax them the document.. No need to go in person, If they still insist on coming in person. Request some one who know over there.

Anonymous said...

tashi delek, where to find out what are the emergecy quotas for issuing an ic to tibetans in india? i cannot find the list on the webpage of tibetbureau! thanks

Tenzin Khachok said...

There is no info mention regarding emergecy quotas for Tibetan IC in the Official website: www.TibetBureau.in however, YOu can just call them on: 091 11 26474798. hOpe this info is useful to you.

Anonymous said...

yes, thanks, i will email them or as you advise, call them.

Anonymous said...

Tashi delek!


I have some questions. Please help me...

1. If I want to work in Kuwait, how useful is the IC?

2. Does the IC issued for Tibetans in exile works as a passport?

3. What other things are required to produce here in India, if I want to travel to Kuwait to work as a teacher?

Its really urgent please do provide me some information.

Thank you,

Tsewang

Anonymous said...

Hi, i have got a gud job in Lebanon so can i get a working visa on my IC? very urgent so someone kindly help me out...........
Thanking You,
Delhi

Tenzin Khachok said...

IC work for Tibetans as Travel documents and can get visa for countries like US, Canada, etc but, I am not sure about Kuwait and Lebanon... Better check with the IC office at delhi or call them.

Tenzin tsezin said...

I have to enquiry that i had applied for my IC in march'11 but still i had not receive it till now. So can i know whats the problem of not getting my IC?

Tenzin Khachok said...

hi Tsezin, I think it will take more than a year to get your new IC however, you can check the status at: http://tibetbureau.in/iccheck/index.php

Anonymous said...

this site is good and people in the same boat will appreciate the discussions and suggestion.
my two cents, i have been working in singapore for close to 5 yrs on employment pass all the while on yellow IC book. it works here.
re the visa for middleastern arabian countries, my information is these countries may not issue visa on IC.

Anonymous said...

Hi, can anyone please help me with the ic renewal procedure. its past a year that my dad had submitted for ic renewal n stil no response. When we called the tib bureau office they say 'its processing at rpo' n we need to contact them. They dont provide any info abt the concerned rpo.later on when i checked the ic status its changed to 'problem with processing'. How long do we wait. Or please provide us contact info of the concerned Indian office. So that we can directly contact them witout calling u several times.

Anonymous said...

The staff @ bureau off gave a file number for reference at the rpo... Thru net got contact number of the rpo n i called they asked for a file number..n when i gav they said its a 10digit number but wat i got wz a 7digit... Plz help .. Any suggestions on this..

Anonymous said...

Tibet Bureau office worker are very proudy & not helping at all for revewal of IC. I live in europe i went their to renewel they have no respected as a Tibetan. They treating us like non human being. I fet up with the Tibetan exile Goverment. We lost our country because of this burecratic still not get a lesson going continue..... Thanks to His Holiness if any thing will happen again this people can sale to any country including China. Kalon tripa is advice us not to celebrate Losar is good but need to work on this day to all tibetan exile workers. They staying as holiday their is no meaning for not celebration.

tenzin said...

Wat is the surrender procedure ?

Unknown said...

Respected sir/madam,what identification proof we must bring while collecting the IC on behalf of my relative? Is RC enough to bring because rite now my IC book is not with me.urgent kindly reply me thank you.

Eminence Immigration said...


hi your blog Article is very nice & thanks for sharing the information.
immigration consultant
express entry visa consultant in india

maharishii said...


us visa renewal As we are the Top Visa services consultants for United States of America, We know exactly what documents you need to carry for your Visa interview as per your case. Most of the Applicants Not required to carry most of the DocumentsDepends on Applicant to Applicant we will suggest the Documents to you to carry for your interview.